Thursday, May 7, 2009

Final Thoughts

As the semester comes to an end, so does my research dealing with food and energy in the ecovillage. Over the semester I have gained an understanding of what ecovillages are and how they are addressing food and energy issues. I have learned various farming techniques and renewable energy strategies. I hope to implement them one day too! But most importantly, I have learned that it is extremely hard to grow 100% of your own food, or to generate 100% renewable energy. It is a goal, and many of the ecovillages I have featured in my blog are working their way towards that goal. Its about the small steps you take by yourself or in your community to tread light on the earth.

If you happen to come across this blog without any previous knowledge of what an ecovillage is, I hope that I have helped you understand what they are. I hope that you also have gained some knowledge about various farming techniques and renewable energy sources. I hope this blog makes you feel like living a low impact life is not as far fetched and other worldly as it seems. You might even be compelled to take it upon yourself to grow some of your own food, or purchase wind power, or buy a solar water heater. Maybe you'll even become a resident of an ecovillage one day. But what I hope most, is that this blog makes you want to take an active role in working to make a positive difference for the health of our mother earth, just like the residents of the ecovillages featured in this blog are doing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting these pics of Camphill Kimberton. I also really appreciated the video of the biodynamic farmer. I was at Camphill Kimberton tonight for Mike McGrath's talk on beneficial creatures. Key points, 2-3% of insects are bad, the rest are the good guys.

    Check Maysie's blog for more notes toward the end of the week.
    -Victoria, SAITA Coordinator at Maysie's. Email me if you want to be put on my list for upcoming workshops.
    http://www.maysiesfarm.org/blog/

    ReplyDelete